Thursday, December 18, 2008

There is a better way...

I hate it when people dress up their dogs. In the words of my editor at the magazine, "That's just abuse." And it is! Let's think about this:
1. Putting extra clothing on your pet can overheat them. Your dog has fur, which is sufficient to keep it within a homeostatic temperature range in the climate for which it was bred. Generally, this climate is analagous to your climate controlled apartment, house, or office. So putting something extra on top of all that insulation makes them hot.
2. Pets don't give a damn about the latest trends. Their brains just aren't large enough to take that all in and process it. In the evolutionary process from which they emerged, "fashion" and "clothing" are just not part of the vocabulary. In their minds you're just doing something strange and unnatural to them.
3. Pet clothing and costumes are not comfortable. The last time I checked, I get terrible headaches from headbands, if my scarf is too tight it makes me feel like I'm choking, and I can't think of anything more frustrating than the limited mobility that many dresses and jackets cause. And these are all things I electively put on myself. So think about how your pet feels in that stupid birthday hat with elastic strap, or those silly Santa pants.
4. Dressing your pet makes you look like an ass. Basically for not taking any of the above into account.

Now, having said all this, I do realize that there are some legitimate reasons for pet clothing. Many smaller, slimmer breeds - such as chihuahuas and Italian greyhounds - get cold easily and require an extra layer to keep warm. The same is true of aging pets and larger breeds with short coats. Below are some options I turned up while hunting for a winter layer for my pit bull, Mia. Please consider one of the following instead the next time you get the urge to purchase a dog-sized Juicy Couture hoodie.

Having grown up around horses, I've always been familiar with the concept of a turn-out blanket, which is basically a blanket with strategically placed straps that hold it in place on a horse without encumbering its movement. The key is functionality. Baker, one of
the best companies for these, also makes dog-sized versions...

...which is what Mia now wears for walks when it's cold outside.
I love that it's a legitimate, well-made, working product that wasn't slapped together in China for idiot Americans.
$65 at doversaddlery.com


Foggy Mountain Dog uses the same idea of functionality over frivolity, but takes into account that there are some oddly shaped dogs out there. They have specially sized blankets for breeds like dachshunds, french bulldogs, and grehounds.
from $20 at dogcoat.com




If you must accessorize your dog, you might as well go with something they already need, like a collar. This one has tons of personality, and totally looks like it could be from Burberry's fall collection. Bonus.
$25 at fordogtrainers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment